And just like that, it’s May! Already! Here are a few topics for your consideration during the month of April.
- Grading and Reporting for Next School Year, 23-24. Beginning in July, we will hold community meetings for students and parents to communicate our instructional focus and grade reporting practices. We are finalizing our presentation and need your feedback. Please be on the lookout for a link to the presentation and a feedback form in our May 17th This Week At Madison communication.
- Graduation Information. There have been several communications over the past few months regarding graduation. Additional communications regarding senior activities and graduation will be sent in the coming weeks. Please click on this link to access all things Madison graduation.
- End of Year MAD Wings Information. Since its inception over five years ago, the MAD Wings program has been an opportunity for seniors to partner with members of our community or school to design an experience around a personal interest or passion. Portrait of a Graduate Presentations of Learning for every student is part of the FCPS Strategic Plan. While there is no grade for completing the portfolio and presentation each year, the benefits for ALL students are:
- Reflecting on learning and celebrating each student’s personal growth and interests are valued at Madison.
- Curating a professional portfolio that can be used for work and college. Many professions require a portfolio.
- Preparing for college and work applications. Some colleges will consider a portfolio for admissions. Students can share their portfolio with their counselor or use it to develop a work resume.
- Senior MAD Wings Experience: From May 8th to May 24th, seniors will be participating in the Senior WINGS Experience. Students have options both in school and out of school for the experience. For out-of-school options, students completed an application process and received approval by the WINGS Committee to participate. Any student who chose to stay in school or had an unapproved application is assigned an in-school option. As a reminder, seniors are NOT excused from AP or required state mandated tests from May 8-24. They are also NOT excused from co-curricular activities, online courses, dual enrollment classes, or academy classes during this time. Senior half days will begin on May 25th. On the 25th and 26th, seniors will have time to work on their WINGS presentation of learning. All seniors are expected to complete a presentation of learning on May 30th and 31st. Seniors who complete their presentation of learning by the 31st will earn a WINGS recognition at graduation.
- Underclassmen: During what has traditionally been final exam week for students, all 9th, 10th and 11th grade students will share their WINGS Portfolio and reflect on what they have learned this year. Students have been curating artifacts all year in their portfolios. Students will present to peers, parents, and community guests during their Advisory period on June 12th, 13th and 14th, ALL students are expected to participate in the Presentation of Learning in their 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grades. Students who complete a presentation of learning all four years will receive special recognition at graduation. Parents are encouraged to ask their students when they will present and attend. It’s a great way to hear about what has been the most impactful for your child this year.
Have a wonderful May!
Liz Calvert, Principal
James Madison High School
2500 James Madison Drive
Vienna, Virginia 22181
One School – One Community – One World